Harry L. George
Harry Lewis George was born November 2, 1848 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to Joseph Stern George and Harriet Elizabeth Mulford George. He had one sister, Harriet.
George began work at his first job as a grocery clerk in 1863, earning two dollars per week. Other jobs included employment at a firm that manufactured patent medicines and a later job with wholesale dealers in hosiery, underwear, and gloves. After arriving in St. Joseph, Missouri, on September 9, 1869, he immediately began working for R.L. McDonald, a prominent wholesale dry goods businessman in the city. At this time, Harry lived at the McChan Boarding House at 6th and Felix. George worked here until 1896 when he left and went into business for himself representing different mills in the sale of their products.
Harry George married Maggie Beattie McDonald (daughter of R.L. McDonald) on January 23, 1884. Together they had three children -- Mary Marjorie, Rufus Lewis, who died in infancy, and Harriet Louise.
George was a very active member in the community including membership in:
- Charity Lodge, F.&A.M.
- Mitchell Chapter No. 89, R.&S.M.
- Hugh de Payne Commandery No. 51
- St. Joseph Council No. 9, R.&S.M.
- St. Joseph Lodge of Perfection No. 6
- Moila Temple, A.A.O.N.M.S., St. Joseph
- St. Joseph Chapter Rose Croix No. 4, A.A.S.R.
- Albert Pike Council of Kadosh No. 4, A.A.S.R.
- St. Joseph Consistory No. 4, A.A.S.R.
- Oldest past master of his lodge
- Past high priest of Mitchell Chapter
- Commercial Club (4 years president)
- Sons of the Revolution
- Good Government League
- Benton and Country Clubs
- First Presbyterian Church (Deacon & Elder)
Harry & Maggie George resided at The Goodwin until their new house was completed. The Georges moved into the completed house, across the street from their previous residence, at 822 N. 9th St. in 1903.
Harry George passed away on February 23, 1923 due to acute pulmonary edema. He is buried, alongside his wife and son at Mount Mora Cemetery in St. Joseph, Missouri.